University of Exeter
The University of Exeter is in Devon in south-west England.
We ranked all 29 universities in the south of England against the following best practice criteria to assess how well each institution raises awareness of help available to survivors and encourages them to report. Other marks are given for campaigns and extra measures which show the university’s engagement with preventing and responding to sexual assault. Each received a mark out of 5.
- Anonymous form: Students are encouraged to seek support from staff at the Wellbeing centre and from specialist support services. An online form is provided to make a formal complaint. However, this is not anonymous.
- Campaigns: The Student’s Guild are running ‘#NeverOK’ that tackles sexual harassment and assault. This campaign, which originated from Exeter, has been taken up by other universities too.
- Sexual assault advice page: The sexual assault investigation policy is available online, however there is not a web page dedicated to helping survivors.Therefore a mark has not been awarded.
- External contacts: Information for both internal and external contacts are provided on the Student’s Guild and University of Exeter website.
- Other measures: Funding has been granted by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) to develop measures for the prevention of sexual assault and support for survivors. This includes a consent quiz for all new students as well as training for frontline staff.