Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University with campuses in Oxford and Swindon.
We ranked all 29 universities in the south of England against the following best practice criteria to assess how well each institution raises awareness of help available to survivors and encourages them to report. Other marks are given for campaigns and extra measures which show the university’s engagement with preventing and responding to sexual assault. Each received a mark out of 5.
- Anonymous form: The university is currently working on developing an anonymous online form to report sexual assault and is aiming to launch this in September. However, currently there is no means to report anonymously.
- Campaigns: A student survey on consent is currently being circulated by the university, along with focus groups for participants.
- Sexual assault advice page: On the above mentioned web page there are details of internal contacts you can go to for help, however there is no advice or next steps guidance on this or in their wellbeing and counselling pages.
- External contacts: The student survey page provides details for victim support and the local sexual abuse and rape crisis centre, but this seems to be the only place where contacts are listed.
- Other measures: Brookes students’ union operates a ‘Safety Bus’ scheme which students can call on a night out, whilst this does not directly relate to sexual assault it is still a preventative step.
By Extua CC BY 3.0, from Wikimedia Commons