University of Reading
The University of Reading is based predominantly in Reading, Berkshire, England. It has three campuses in the surrounding area.
We ranked all 29 universities in the south of England against the following best practice criteria to assess how well each institution raises awareness of help available to survivors and encourages them to report. Other marks are given for campaigns and extra measures which show the university’s engagement with preventing and responding to sexual assault. Each received a mark out of 5.
- Anonymous form: There is no evidence online for an anonymous means of reporting sexual assault.
- Campaigns: The students’ union currently support ‘I Heart Consent’ organised by the National Union of Students, and deliver consent workshops as part of this. The union also encourages students to pledge to the campaign.
- Sexual assault advice page: There is a page dedicated to advice for sexual assault which lists a number of recommendations to consider if you have been attacked or abused, including who to tell and whether you should report the attack to police. However, there are no details for university support services.
- External contacts: The students’ union website lists an extensive number of support groups and helplines to contact, including Hidden Marks, SurvivorsUK and Victim Support.
- Other measures: The university has ‘Harassment Advisors’, which is a voluntary role taken on by staff already employed by the university, who direct staff and students to relevant support in the university and external charities.