Buckinghamshire New University
There are three campuses, based in High Wycombe and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, and Uxbridge in Greater London.
We ranked all 29 universities in the south of England against the following best practice criteria to assess how well each institution raises awareness of help available to survivors and encourages them to report. Other marks are given for campaigns and extra measures which show the university’s engagement with preventing and responding to sexual assault. Each received a mark out of 5.
- Anonymous form: The university does not provide a method of reporting sexual assault anonymously.
- Campaigns: The ‘#NeverOk’ campaign, initially started by women from the University of Exeter, has been adopted by Buckinghamshire New University which raises awareness of sexual harassment, violence and assault.
- Sexual assault advice page: The university website has a page dedicated to recognising, reporting and supporting survivors of sexual assault with details of university support and what to do next.
- External contacts: The same webpage also gives details of charities and the local sexual assault referral centre which provides medical help for survivors.
- Other measures: There are five members of staff who are trained as Sexual Violence Liaison Officers to support survivors of current or historic incidents. They also provide “Bystander Intervention Training” to staff and students through their virtual learning environment.