Falmouth University is a specialist university for creative industries based in Falmouth and Penryn, Cornwall.
We ranked all 29 universities in the south of England against the following best practice criteria to assess how well each institution raises awareness of help available to survivors and encourages them to report. Other marks are given for campaigns and extra measures which show the university’s engagement with preventing and responding to sexual assault. Each received a mark out of 5.
- Anonymous form: The university launched email service ‘Tell Me’ which allows students to raise concerns about harassment or any issues causing students to feel unsafe, however it is not anonymous.
- Campaigns: The students’ union worked with the local sexual assault referral centre during ‘Sexual Violence Awareness Week’ in February this year. To celebrate International Women’s Day, they also developed a four part magazine series which talks about the #metoo movement and sexual violence.
- Sexual assault advice page: The university freshers pamphlet provides an emergency number for survivors of sexual assault. Alongside this, the student services and wellbeing pages have contact details for counselling services and help, however these are not specific to sexual assault.
- External contacts: The students’ union ‘Sexual Health and Consent’ web page provides details for reporting to the police as well the local sexual assault referral centre.
- Other measures: There is no evidence of any further measures to prevent or respond to sexual assault.